Apparently nowadays most schools have morning and afternoon announcements that come on over the school’s own TV channel. I guess this is integral to the professional development of aspiring TV anchors everywhere. All we need are more pundits to talk about everything and nothing all at once on CNN, so the elementary school is the best place to start honing their skillz. When I was a kid not too long ago, we still got our announcements over the PA system. Birthdays were announced, lunch menus were shared, and there were usually some reminders about turning in your Mathathon money. Instead of writing a real post, this one is going to be a bit like those announcements. I’m here, I’m alive, and here’s some stuff that has been going on.
1. We’re still on the road. We were supposed to head home from Atlanta to NC this morning, but I felt gross all night long, likely because I’ve eaten a total 100 calories of actually healthy food in the last week. Also, I’m weaning C, so I’m kind of sad about that and the physical as well as emotional strain has been kind of rough the last few days. So this morning when I woke up super early as per the usual and B suggested that we deserve a day of R&R and that we bum around Atlanta and give Wee Cee a break, I was all over that. We don’t indulge ourselves like this as often as we should so I’m enjoying today.
2. Thank you to everyone who participated in Festivus! It was so much fun and it turned out to be so much more than I could have predicted. I’m already thinking about Festivus 2013 and how to make it even more exciting. Let me know if you have any ideas! Major, MAJOR shout-out to Ashley for helping me with it. I could not have done it on my own, and she was an incredible co-hostess.
3. Christmas was fun but exhausting. I have been in a daze since we left a week ago. We’ve all been off our schedules. One night, my mom watched C while we went out with our friends and spent the night alone at my MIL Sidney’s house. This was the first night we’ve spent apart from C since she was born. It was hard; tears were shed on all our parts, but obviously we all survived. It was a necessary step. Snip snip goes the cord.
4. I’ve been thinking a lot about the blog lately and what parts of me I want it to represent in 2013. Since C was born last March, it kind of went off the rails and I’m not totally loving what it’s become. Don’t worry; I am for sure not going to be abandoning it, but sometimes I get tired of trying to be entertaining all the time. As much as I adore my readers and the people I interact with here, sometimes I feel like I allow myself to write what I think y’all want to hear rather than what I want and need to say. I am going to try to be more authentic in 2013. I may not get Freshly Pressed, but success and high stats are things I just don’t really value as much anymore. I’d rather write things that I’ll read back 10 years from now and remember who I was at the time.
4. I wrote a guest post for Kidz Showz! It’s about Gumby Adventures, one of my favorite shows from when I was a kid. Please read it, as it is way more fun and interesting than this post. While you’re there, subscribe to Kidz Showz because it’s written by Lily and Mooselicker which means it’s super funny and probably super politically incorrect, but in a good Louis CKish way.